Thirty years ago, the city of Shenzhen didn't exist ... China's first "special economic zone," ... half of everything you own was made here ... Sometimes called "market Stalinism," ... In 2005 there were at least 87,000 "mass incidents" ... Will install two million (security-crazy London boasts only half a million surveillance cameras) ... cameras to alert police when an unusual number of people begin to gather ... This is how this Golden Shield will work: Chinese citizens will be watched around the clock through networked CCTV cameras and remote monitoring of computers ... China's rapid economic growth has relied on the ability of its rulers to raze villages and move mountains ... unequal categories of people: the winners, who get the condos and cars, and the losers, who do the heavy labor ...... You can see the Statue of Liberty. It's such a historic place.Si esta intro no te ha causado intriga, definitivamente no querrás leer un artículo tan largo acerca de cosas inquietantes ante las que es dudoso que puedas actuar.
En el mismo estilo corta-pega, vayan unos recortes de los comentarios suscitados:
- These problems WILL confront our children and theirs.
- Orwell's 1984 didn't anticipate the importance of corporations in this hierarchy, and the desire for profit.
- American military interrogators appeared to have collaborated with visiting Chinese officials at Guantánamo Bay.
- Beware most of all these two, wrote Dickens, Want and Ignorance.
- China? Am I the only person in America that has noticed cameras on every traffic signal?